Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Dane County Clerk's Office

Marriage License


Check here for office closure dates, that could affect the day that you apply.

Civil Wedding Ceremony

Any supreme court, circuit court, or municipal judge, or any court commissioner may perform civil wedding ceremonies in the state of Wisconsin.

If you desire to be married by a judge or court commissioner, please contact that person directly. The name of the person performing the ceremony and the time and place of the wedding must be known before applying for the marriage license.

Before applying for a marriage license, please make arrangements with a judge or court commissioner as to the date, time and place of the ceremony. After applying for the license, notify the judge or court commissioner that you have in fact applied and have the license. The couple is then responsible for bringing the license with them to the ceremony.

Civil Wedding Officiant List

Information for Wedding Officiants

Wedding Officiants (including officiants that are ordained online), you do not need to register with this office in order to perform ceremonies here in Dane County. Please provide the couple with your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address, so that they can give us this information at the time of application.

More Information

Ceremony Arrangements

Arrangement for the wedding must be set PRIOR to applying for a marriage license. (Legally a ceremony consists of five (5) people - the couple, the officiant and 2 witnesses). When you apply, you will need to provide the date and location of the ceremony (the county and city, town or village the ceremony will take place in), as well as the officiant's name, address and phone number.

When to Apply - Waiting Period

Applications must be made at least six full calendar days before the license may be issued, but not more than 30 days prior to the wedding. The license must then be used within the next 30 days. A waiver of the waiting period may be granted for an additional fee of $25 if there are extenuating circumstances.


All marriage license applications are being issued through virtual meeting and by appointment only. Each applicant must both join in on the virtual meeting.  If necessary, it is okay to join from 2 separate locations.  Wisconsin applicants must apply in the county where one or both have physically resided for at least 30 days prior to the date of application. The license is valid to be used  in any county in Wisconsin. If both applicants live outside Wisconsin, they must apply in the county where the ceremony will take place.  

This scheduling link below only has available time slots out 30 days.  If you are trying to schedule an appointment more than 30 days in advance, the calendar will show there are no appointments available.  Please check back when you are within the 30 day window of your planned ceremony to schedule your appointment. 

After you have gone through the online scheduling of your marriage license appointment, you will receive a confirmation email.  Within that email there is a Zoom link which you will use to connect with us for the date/time of your scheduled appointment.  

Schedule Marriage License Appointment

If you require additional assistance, please contact the County Clerk's office via email at

How to pay for your license

License fee is $120.  Credit or debit cards are accepted. Payment is due upon application and is non-refundable.

Marriage License Application Requirements


  1. Photo I.D. and Social Security number (we DO NOT need the Social Security Card). If the applicant does not have a Social Security number the space will be marked with “none”.

  2. A printed document proving where each of you have physically lived for the 30 days prior to the application, for example: a driver’s license if it has the current address on it, a lease, utility bill or bank statement. You must also know whether you live in a city, village or township and the county where you reside.

  3. An original certified birth certificate issued by the state or county where you were born. Birth certificate must be legible, not tattered and torn. The hospital birth certificate is not acceptable. Photocopies of birth certificates are NOT acceptable.

    **If, and only if, you were born outside of the United States, you MAY substitute a passport, green card or naturalization papers, but a birth certificate is always preferable.**

    You must know how to correctly spell both of your parents full names – including mother’s FULL maiden name.

  4. If previously married, we must see proof of how the last marriage ended - a judgment of divorce (in WI the court document is called "Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, Judgment of Divorce), a legal annulment or divorce/death certificate pertaining to the most recent marriage. A printout from CCAP is not acceptable. Divorced persons may not remarry until six months after the granting of the judgment of divorce regardless of which state the action took place.

  5. The legal age for marriage in Wisconsin is 18. If an applicant is 16 or 17 years of age a consent form needs to be signed by both parents or guardians before the County Clerk.

  6. If one or both of the applicants do not speak English, a third party needs to be present to interpret at the time of application. Couples cannot translate for each other.